This is one of my favorite appetizers to make. It's super quick and simple, and looks great when plated.
Ingredients for 3-4 servings
- 1 large tomato (I really like beefstake or heirloom tomatoes)
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella
- 3-4 fresh basil leaves
- fresh cracked black pepper
- olive oil
- Cut the top and bottom off of the tomato then cut 1/2" thick slices of the tomato. This should yield 3-4 slices depending on the size of the tomato.
- Cut the mozarella ball into slices equal to the number of tomato slices, roughly 1/2" thick
- Cut the basil leaves into small strips
- Spread out the tomato slices flat onto a plate
- Lay a slice of mozarella on top of each tomato slice
- Top the mozarella with strips of basil
- Pepper to taste
- Add a dash of olive oil to each stack
You can also add balsamic vinegar to the stack if you like. Serve immediately or chill and serve within 15-20 minutes so the mozzarella doesn't dry out. Enjoy!